Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Rash of Calls

I like medical stuff. I always watch when they draw blood, I don't shy away from asking the dentist what she's going to be stabbing with that three-pronged shiny metal thing, I started nursing school for goodness sake, and once, when we were about 8 and 7, I set Bub up in one of our parents recliners, positioned the needlepoint magnifying lamp over her open mouth and proceeded to retract a stubborn piece of plum from in between her molar gums because I care.

But, that doesn't mean I always like it or want to hear it. I'll spare you the phone call about someone's exploding something that sent blood flying all over something else, but a day after I got that phone call, I got this one:

Me: Hello?
Mom: Have I told you about my new rash?
Me: Mom?
Mom: Who else calls you?
Me: Lots of peop. . . you and Bub do. What do you mean your 'new' one?
Mom: Oh, it's been a weird year for me and my skin.
Me: Ew.
Mom: Don't ew me miss sends her sister a picture of her healing stitches everyday.
Me: She wanted to see it.
Mom: It's all over the place, and it's spreading even farther.
Me: Your new rash is?
Mom: Yes.
Me: Did you see the doctor?
Mom: Yes he told me to take these two pills and use this cream that smells like a lavatory.
Me: What?
Mom: No, not a lavatory.
Me: You smell like a bathroom?
Mom: That's not the right word . . . lavender.
Me: Those are totally different smells Mom.
Mom: I look like I have an allergic reaction.
Me: What did the doctor say it was?
Mom: An allergic reaction to this cream I was using for a different rash.

Thank you Lori. And so it went. Then, later on Bub called me:

Me: Hello?
Bub: Did mom tell you about her rash?
Me: Why does everyone want to start conversations with me that way?
Bub: We went to Starbucks together today.
Me: Does it look as bad as she says?
Bub: No. Well, it looks bad, but she doesn't look like a leper.
Me: I think lepers are missing limbs and chunks of skin and stuff.
Bub: Right, she doesn't look like that.
Me: Ok...
Bub: So, we walk in - me, her, and the rash - and she yells, right after she steps into the door, 'It's not contagious! DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING AIRBORNE! I'm not contagious!'
Me: Nice.
Bub: We got free coffee though.
Me: You did?
Bub: No, but we should have. She looked gross.

No comments: