Thursday, June 10, 2010

On Repeat

You know when you were little and you made your mom play Man in the Mirror seven hundred times on the way to ballet practice because it was so good that you were fairly certain if you weren't singing along to it, and internalizing that you were gonna make a difference, gonna make a chaaaaaaaaaange, at all times your brain would explode? Like some sort of mild Autism, because somewhere in there you knew it wasn't good that all you could do was listen to that song on repeat, but you just COULDN'T STOP because it felt so good?

I did that with Man in the Mirror, and then later with Cherish when I was in the fourth grade and I liked Jamie Miller, my best friend's brother who was a mature fifth grader, because I believed if I could sing it passionately enough into my mirror, he would want me. Not that he could see me, or knew what I was doing - probably that would have had the opposite effect - but somehow the essence of my womanliness would transverse the invisible magnetic waves in the air and land into his general area, which would make him suddenly look up from his game of Sorry! and know that I wasn't just his little sister's freakishly tall 10 year old friend, I was also the love of his life.

Oh yeah. It worked. Maybe not because of my singing to myself, but you couldn't have convinced me of that then (or now), but for some other unknown reason Jamie Miller wanted to date me.

And we did.

For eleven whole days.

And they were magical.

Until he tried to hold my hand in the mall and I got so freaked out I made my dad come pick me up and I cried all the way home, thus essentially ending my friendship with his sister.

Anyway, my point is - I sometimes get stuck on songs to an OCD level, and I'm not sure why, except now thinking back on the Jamie Miller extravaganza I think it might be some weird unconscious chant to get something.

Which is why I'm seriously questioning my new constantly-on-repeat song choice.



It's Kid Cudi, Kanye West, Common and a little bit of Lady Gaga thrown in just for fun. I don't know what it means, but I do know after just looking up the lyrics Kanye might possibly be my new favorite lyricist.

"I Got Seniority, With The Sorority
So, That Explains Why I Love College
Getting Brain In The Library Cuz I Love Knowledge
"

Oh, Kanye. . . I was wondering why you loved college.

"When You Used Your Medulla Oblongata
And Give Me Scoliosis Until I Comatose'st
And Do While I'm Sleep, Yeah A Lil Osmosis
"

Comatose'st? The most comatose? From scoliosis? I'm no doctor, but that's some crazy science. I'm not sure if a crooked spine has ever put anyone in a coma.

"And That's My Commandment, You Ain't Gotta Ask Moses
More Champagne, More Toasts'st
More Damn Planes, More Coasts'st
"

That's poetry my friends.

POETRY.

I can't help it. I love it so much! Try and just listen to it once. I dare you. It's too catchy. It's too appealing on a million levels.

It's the most'st.

No comments: