Friday, January 29, 2010

Game Day At Our House Has A Lot More Hard Core Cheating - Usually From My Mom Even Though She'll Deny It Til The Cows Come Home

So I went to my cousin's baby shower last week, and out of the fifty something people that attended either me or someone in my family won all of the game categories. At first I thought it was because we're just all really competitive when there's no alcohol around, but then I realized, nope - we all just like to cheat.

It's not like we planned it, and it's not like we were playing a scam on Who Wants to be a Millionaire or anything, it was just light cheating. Like, so light I announced I was doing it as I was doing it just so I wouldn't get in trouble. (Because I like living on the edge, but am still too afraid I'll get detention, or worse a C in one of my classes, like they'll go back and retro-grade me somehow, and my High School GPA will dip down and I'll never move out of my Mom's house and will have to go on welfare and eat only bologna for a week straight and start hooking just to get by.)

Anyway, after the party I was mentioning to my mom how I won the make-a-play-doh-baby-blind-folded game, and then she launched into how she won.

". . . blah, blah, blah and that's how you win by cheating!"

"Wow."

"I know, pretty cool right?"

"How long have you been doing this?"

"Longer than you've been around."

"Nice Mom. I don't think I've ever seen you do anything bad. You feed the meter next to you just in case."

"Well, that's the thing, the best part is, it's not technically cheating. It's just tilting the odds a little. And you can't put this on your blog."

"Of course not."

"This is just me as a mother passing down my knowledge to my eldest daughter, that she has to take to her grave."

"It's not that serious is i-"

"TO YOUR GRAVE!"

"Ok! Sorry!"

"Oops, I think I just ran a red light."

"This is a tender moment we're having."


And really, I didn't cheat. That much. We had to be blind folded and make a baby and some baby stuff out of play doh, but they didn't say human baby.

So, here I am explaining to everyone that I'm going to make a panda baby. And Becky and DD are thrilled with my explanation of how I'm going to fashion the tummy out of some white doh.



And this is how it turned out. It was much cuter than the picture makes it seem.



Here's an example of what the other teams came up with. Clearly, panda-baby is cuter than pink-blob baby.



Uh. . . also, I inverted panda baby's head colors. He's like an x-ray-head panda baby.

No photos please!!!

My birthday is coming up people. . . I'm just saying. I want one.

It's just like having a puppy! But it's sort of a bear.


So then we won!


And I kept the blindfold on my head like that way too long. I took it home with me, just in case I ever want to test my skills and challenge myself on my off time. Watch out future baby showers, and possibly my future children's kindergarten classes! I'm gonna play-doh the shit out that game.

Ok, the real winners are these guys - because in that polka dotted belly is a little girl that's gonna be cute and awesome, and incredibly science-class inclined. And when she's old enough I'm gonna teach her how to play games Auntie Lori's way. And then how to celebrate with a box of chilled wine and some Cold Stone, Auntie Amy style.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You did not make that cute little panda without peeking!!! NO WAY!

Just promise me that on our next date you'll wear that awesome 1973 headband.

Erin Fisher said...

very cute and funny. i just found you while searching other south bay blogs. :)