Monday, February 15, 2010

Not Unpacking

Since moving back home I haven't done much decorating, this is partly due to the fact that I can't pick a color that's not purple right now, like I have purple turrets and I don't even think about it - Oooh, I like that purple shirt - Ooh that purple blender is so cute - Ooh, I'll take those sheets in purple - Ooh those purple socks are gonna be so cute hidden in my boots - One purple latte please, no whip - and so on until this morning when I looked around and noticed that it looked like someone took some Dramamine and then threw it up all over my room.

I don't like solid colors as a personal representative choice, I'm pro-mixing, and really I don't usually think about it, I just buy stuff that doesn't make me look yellow when I stand next to it and call it a day. (And I don't mean yellow like I'm calling myself an Asian, but doing it with hate, I mean actual yellow. Like, legal pad yellow. Like, sometimes when I hold up a light turquoise sweater to my face I look like spaghetti squash.) So, I'm definitely not all about color combos, or organizing my closet by color (Gabi. Becky. Gige.) (but that might just be because I organize by sleeve length and then a sub category based on warmness - sure you can find everything red you own, but can you find all your warm tank tops at once? I didn't think so.) Nor am I one of those girls who goes around saying, "I always wearing something pink. It's my signature color!" Your signature color? What are you, like the Zorro of gross?

So, I need to unpack my room finally, but every time I go to pick out a plant or a book shelf or ANYTHING it's that damn purple. And I don't even like purple that much. I haven't had a favorite color since kindergarten and even then it was sparkly red. Not red. Sparkly red.

(ooooh. . . still pretty)


I've waited to unpack partly because I like to do things in order. And yes it's been almost six months, but I finally put my underwear into the top drawer so that my sister wouldn't have too move the fancy stack any time she wanted to get to the toothpaste.

Ok, that's a total lie, I don't like to do things in order I'm just having a really hard time unpacking, and I think I know why. I came across this article on colors (Ok, total lie again - I googled it to avoid taking my books out of boxes) and the thing said that purple, aside from meaning royalty, creativity, and magic (I knew it), it also "evokes gloom and sad feelings. It can cause frustration."

Uh, no wonder every time I go in there I want to cry and listen to Sinead O'Conner . And then I get all frustrated when there's no more Ding Dongs hidden in the bedside table. How'm I supposed to cure my gloom and sad feelings when there's no chocolate treats wrapped in foil nearby?!

Except I don't really think it makes me sad and gloomy. I've got everyone on the planet reminding me I'm going to be thirty for that! But even that I'm not really sad about because everyone still thinks Becky is older than me anyway! Yay! (Beck, it's just because you're mature and poised. Not because you look old.) (Just older than me.) (I love you!)

Anyway, I'm keeping some of the purple, but I might add some yellow because that's supposed to represent joy so maybe it'll counter balance out the threat of gloom. Yellow makes me look sick but that's ok as long as my room is color balanced and my underwear stays in the drawers! Next, my bras get moved from the back door doorknob the kitchen table. One step at a time people.

Plus, I'm just moving them because Becky has started keeping hers there. Maybe it's not the unpacking, maybe we just really, really hate drawers.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I never even knew you owned drawers! I remember your underwear being on the floor in the office and in your pockets.

Drawers...proof that little Amy's growing up.