Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving. . . Sort Of

One of the benefits of having a Grandma who thinks her way is always the right way, is that sometimes she decides to fly you out to Ireland for Thanksgiving because that's how it should be. Naturally, we should be spending the United States holiday in a different country where they don't even sell Turkey for food. HOW COULD THAT BE WEIRD?

Said Grandma is already tucked away in her Irish cottage, but calls me daily to remind me to bring cranberry sauce, and to remind me that she's sent a neighbor out to rent a pumpkin colored tablecloth that I am supposed to bring with me. Last time she rented a tablecloth she promptly gave it to a friend to cut up and make into napkins. The RENTED tablecloth.

My sister called to ask if she could pack her coat in my suitcase and when I explained there would be no room due to the festive tablecloth she screamed, "DOES SHE REMEMBER THAT SHE'S BLIND AND CAN'T SEE THE DAMN TABLECLOTH IN THE FIRST PLACE? What, does it feel orange?"

But I'm bringing it. Because I get to go to Ireland. I'm not ungrateful.

I spent the whole morning saying goodbye to the office, because even though it's like being stuck in a 1970's rehab center, I still kinda like it here.

Goodbye jungle tree:
treebye

Goodbye weird alien thing that somehow managed to survive all the jackhammering:
thingbye

Goodbye lone water bottle that the receptionist decided to keep outside because she wanted one bottle in every room "just in case", and no, outside does not technically count as a room in the office, but she didn't really want to hear any of that nonsense:
waterbye

And finally, goodbye for a few days Carrie - the only one in the office who would let me drape her in tablecloth magic:
carriebye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me experience the glamour that is the rented tablecloth for just moments before it flies to Ireland to be hacked up into individual Thanksgiving handkerchief favors.

Don't worry about us, we've got everything covered. Crystal and I will be tossing back...uh, I mean kickin' back keeping an eye on things.

Anna said...

Carrie looks HOTTT in that picture! And that's not an easy task when you're draped in an unshapely tablecloth.

Your goodbye pictures made me laugh harder than you'll ever know. Esp. the jungle tree one.