Wednesday, November 15, 2006

This One Goes To Eleven

They're jack hammering right outside of our office today. And by right out front I mean two feet from my window. Which is gonna be really awesome for morale.

In an office where people freak out when management buys the wrong type of candy for the candy bowl, or send each other into mass hysteria at the thought of taking their lunch break five minutes later than usual, the fact that the office building is literally shaking from a swarm of husky Mexicans with power tools is, I'm pretty sure, going to be the psychotic undoing of at least half of the staff.

Already this morning my (pretty much blind) 81 year old boss shouted, "Goddamnit it's 8am. SOMEONE'S GONNA GET SHOT!" and then felt her way back to her desk where she sat down and rooted around for, what I can only imagine to be, an antique pistol she keeps hidden amongst the melted mints and bags of pennies.

The very pretty gal down the hall stood in my doorway shaking her head and proclaimed, "You'd think with all that shaking they are doing with the jack hammering, they'd be a lot skinnier." Which is extremely appropriate from a girl who once said, "I don't like all the Orientals. They make me claustrophobic." Why? Because they throw you in confined spaces and don't let you out? Damn those sneaky Orientals!

A fellow co-worker, as well as also being one of the three people under 60 years old in the office, took this cell phone picture to document the construction:
jack

Now picture five more of them pounding horrifically as if my speaker was turned up to eleven. Then pour yourself some coffee, and relax into your swiveling chair, where the only thing drowning out the noise from construction is the screams of confusion from the receptionist who hit the construction truck because it "isn't usually parked there".

7 comments:

Anna said...

The jackhammering making them skinnier comment makes absolutely NO SENSE and this is why I love her. And you for documenting her words of wisdom. Please tell me Carrie isn't the receptionist who hit the truck...

Anonymous said...

Is the jackhammering supposed to shake and vibrate the fat out of them? I don't get it. Could you maybe have her explain that to the rest of us?

Carrie said...

First let me say that this is all completely accurate. Unfortunately, I was there.

Second, ANNA!!! How dare you! I thought you hearted me. I'm really not that dumb. Really.

And third, I'm thinking of starting an anti-racist-Lithuanian club. Who's with me?

Anonymous said...

I have the pleasure of working in the same lovely paradise as my favorite "Jew In The Room". I must say that I have also taken a particular joy in sitting back and noting the events of the morning. I, for one, have enjoyed my new Vibra-Chair, thanks to the sexy (I mean sweaty) mexicanos out side. But I guess that many of these crusty, cobb-webby old hags are so freaked out by a little vibration on the "what, what", that this is an activity that needs to stop. There goes my Christmas idea of dildo's for the office.

Anna said...

Damn I wish I worked at your office. Free Dildos for Christmas. I'm only kidding. Kind of.

Anna said...

And P.S.

Carrie - OF COURSE I HEART YOU!!! She said receptionist...I thought that was your job. I need names here, people. Names!

Carrie said...

Yes, Anna, you could call me a receptionist. As well as a reader, internet resource analyst, file picker-upper, driver, library gopher and assorted other fantastic titles.

But the real reason I stay is because Amy leaves her panties laying around for me. How can I give that up?