Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Want To Hold Hands And Stroll Along The Boardwalk With Every Single Person In That Movie

One of my co-workers came up to me yesterday to ask how my birthday was and just generally make me feel weird.

"So, what did you turn? Twenty-four?"

"Oh gosh, thanks. You don't have to say that."

"Twenty-six?"

"Thirty."

"What?"

"I know it's weird."

"But you don't seem thirty."

"Oh. . . thanks?"

"I thought you were early twenties. You just seem so . . . you're very imma. . . I mean, you laugh a lot."

"I laugh a lot?"

"I mean, you don't have what I had when I was thirty. And you're light."

"I'm light?"

"I had a mortgage."

"I have student loans."

"I mean, you're light in that you . . . laugh a lot."

". . ."

"Like this morning you were laughing."

". . . "

"And yesterday."

". . ."

"And . . . the day before that."

". . ."

"And-"

"And the day before that?"

"Yes."

". . . "

". . . "

"Well, I do like to laugh."

"That's what I'm saying!"



I have no idea what she's saying. Only people in their twenties laugh? Well, I've got a lot of Chicken Soup for the Soul to read then, because I just saw a preview for Hot Tub Time Machine and I almost peed my pants.



The other thing I got from a few of my other co-workers was - "But that means Becky is in her thirties." Which is untrue, since she's younger than me. And since everyone who said that has been working here since before I was born, they know (or knew at one time) Becky and Michael are younger than me - which is making me question a lot about the work we do around here. But really, it seems to be an honest mistake since everyone, EVERYONE, we meet thinks Becky is older than me because she's so "mature" and "well-poised" and doesn't "drink too much" or "give speeches about birth control in the middle of the condiments aisle at the grocery store because she mistook the sign to say 'condoms and mints'" and she doesn't "ask every pregnant woman she meets if they're scared about pooping on the birthing table thing" and she "flosses every day" and blah blah blah.

Which is fine, because if half the time people think she's older than me, the other half people think we're twins - and that's not such a bad thing. There are worse people I could be mistaken for.





1 comment:

Carrie said...

Great, now I have no idea how old I am. I'm freaking laughing constantly. The other day I had a total uncontrollable laugh attack just from reading a comment about a dead monkey that my cousin left on my facebook page. (I hope nobody from PETA is reading this. If so, it was actually a sock monkey and I'd like to point out that he survived).

All I can say about that movie is that I can't wait to see it because I've been waiting for something to come along to redeem John Cusack from that God-awful "2012" piece of donkey dung.