Friday, April 30, 2010

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Jesus Christ Superstar

Last night I went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with my sister, boss, and boss's husband, and was shocked to discover that although I had adamantly - and I mean adamantly, like with wild hand gestures and singing - declared that the song Jesus Christ Superstar was in this play, it was, in fact, not in the play at all, but rather is in it's own play, conveniently titled: Jesus Christ Superstar.

Apparently one is about Joseph and one is about Jesus. One has a technicolor coat that a dude wears and he has dreams, and the other has hippies and flogging.

At one point when the go-go dancers came out Becky and I looked at each other like WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! And why can I see up six different people's skirts right now?!?!

And then the Caribbean music started about palm trees and we forgot all about our disco troubles and decided to don't worry, be happy.

I mean, apparently Joseph was sold into slavery but it turned out ok for him, so what were we complaining about?

*sigh* I love plays. I love plays where it's ok for a biblical guy to have his bare chest stroked by a harem of girls, and a flamboyant butler lick a little sweat from a Egyptian Elvis's brow.

They should have shown this to me when I was a kid. If that wouldn't have kept me in Sunday School I don't know what would.

Gay Elvis licking! C'mon! And boobs EVERYWHERE! Maybe that was just this particular theater's interpretation, but let me tell you - everyone stayed for the encore. Twice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I need to introduce you to some regular ol' fashioned theology and Bible stories if that's the sort of stuff that gets your interest. For example:

-A woman who kills a man by nailing his head to the ground by hammering a tent stake through his temples (Judges 5:26).

-King David going after a woman he sees taking a bath, only to murder his husband and having his family get messed up (2 Samuel 11).

-This also included his long-haired son getting strung up in a tree, killed by three arrows through the heart, and then people mangling his corpse (2 Samuel 18).

--
Christian