Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Happy Broken Holidays

My friend "Asian" and I were discussing the whereabouts of our holiday gatherings, when I pointed out that we would be spending Christmas together. (He’s dating my cousin S, and so now he comes to all family gatherings. Another one of my best friends is dating my sister so she comes to all the family stuff too – it’s like a big weird incestuous group, but I loves it.) Anyway, Asian was talking about how he was going to be in a bunch of different places all day because he has a broken home and so does S. And I felt bad for him. I comforted him, saying I was sorry, and then thought about all my other friends and their broken homes and felt sad for them too. Those poor downtrodden souls.

*sigh*

That is until about a full five minutes later when I realized that I now come from a broken home too! WHAT?! How did I forget that? It just slipped my mind, like something small – Yeah I forgot my keys the other day, and sometimes I forget my school ID number, oh yeah. . . AND THE FACT THAT MY PARENTS GOT DIVORCED.

They did. Thank god, because all my friends’ parents were divorced and I don’t want to be the only one who still had married parents. Ew.

Lucky for me my Dad is Jewish.

No double Christmas duty for me.

So I’m still sorry for all you others who don’t come from a mixed religious home where the parents break up, but instead just come from a one religion home where the parents break up. That must really suck.

Maybe this will cheer you up. It’s for all seasons.


Seriously.

5 comments:

Ogre said...

SLOW DOWN! That box is a little on the large side. Maybe a ring box would be a little better. What if you go limp before she opens it? Does it look like I got her a dead worm for Christmas?

Anna said...

What are the odds of his parents naming him Asian only to have him turn out Asian?!

And Justin always manages to make my day a little brighter. Esp when his D is in a B.

Carrie said...

I have the opposite problem to yours...I usually forget that my parents were ever married.

And I agree with JT...it really is the all-occasion gift.

Carrie said...

Oh, and ogre, if the box makes you feel inadequate, just tie a bow around it. A tiny one.

Anonymous said...

my parents aren't divorced. oh, but I guess my brother is a fag. and i hate people named ryan. so we still have a lot in common. in spirit.